blogtoberfest

Thursday 1 September 2011

Knees

It seems that this is the age my friends are getting knee replacements. Ouch!!
We need to take care of this important joint before it collapses (rubbing bone on bone)
I incorporate knee preserving exercises in my training. This entails strengthening the upper muscles surrounding the knee, without the weight of your body impacting downwards.

  1. Quads and hamstrings- wrap theraband around foot, then straighten and bend knee
  2. Inner thigh and outer thigh - tie band around ankles, then separate and return ankles together
Bit hard taking pix of self, but hope you get the drift.

2 comments:

  1. I have recently realised that my knee injury relapses when I have been walking down stairs. Not actually while I am doing it, but later. Looks like I am destined to use lifts and escalators all the time. Doesn't get me out of walking up stairs though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best way to protect your knees is to use the side step method ie. face the railing and step by step. Remember to give both sides a go - no lopsided bodies.
    This will not only prevent falling but also give those inner thighs a much needed workout.
    Have fun trying - and if you get odd looks just say, "I'm training".

    ReplyDelete